2nd Story From The Life of Bhai Rama Singh Ji

My First Experience of Bhai Sahib, The Gursikh.

Waheguru ji kekhalsa, waheguru ji ke fateh

Payre jio, I remember many years ago, at a Khalsa camp in Bangor, wales. This was my first time that I had really met bhai sahib ji.I had just kept my kesh, and had a litttle dastaar on.

In the morning, the asa-di-var keertan was excellent. I remember thinking how i wish i could do keertan. I felt so unlucky at all my life being a mona, and never learning these things. As i was walking back to my room, in front of me on a grassy area, I saw bhai sahib with a waaja, with a young lad playing tabla. i knew bhai sahib was special, but never had the courage to go up to him and say anything. anyway, he called me over, to my surprise. I went over, and he told me to sit next to him, saying that he was going to teach me a shabad. He began teaching me a very simple shabad, but even this I could not pick up. Once he had taught me the shabad, he said start doing keertan. I was now feeling very uncomfortable, but he said do not worry, just close your eyes, and sing the shabad.

it was first time touching the waaja, so i was very nervous. But bhai sahib starting singing with me, we closed our eyes and started singing. My vioce was shaking, showing my nerviousness. Bhai sahib came closer, and put his hand on my back. This felt so reassuring, and eyes closed, we were doing keertan. For the first time, I felt so relaxed, and a cold breeze enters the mind.

After a while, when the shabad was finished, bhai sahib lifted his hand from my back, i opened my eyes. To my surprise, there was now about twenty-plus people sitting in front of us listening to the keertan. It suddenly dawned on me what I was doing. Feeling really embarrassed, me a nobody doing keertan, infront of these poeple. I quickly passed the waaja on to someone who I knew did keertan.

bhai sahib just smiled at me, then carried on singing with the keertan. that was the first time I witnessed what Bhai sahib was. It was like he knew what I was yearning for, and just gave it to me. Always the friendly smile. No commotion, just simplicity.

So many things happened at that khalsa camp with Bhai sahib, it was my first introduction to the world of these Gursikhs. Bhai sahib ji is azaad, but his worldly funeral is on Saturday week. I will attempt to relate one story everyday, and hope many others will do the same. maybe through these stories, it may inspire another to immerse themselves in Joorian de seva and bhagti, creating a new generation of Bhai sahib`s. You never know who guru maharaj will place his Grace on.

Waheguru ji kekhalsa, waheguruji ke fateh

No comments: