Racism

I myself have had to endure racists attacks against myself and my identity, and that is why I believe so strongly in the wisdom of the Guru and the truth of the Khalsa panth. With each attack against me my resolve only became stronger, to stay true to the ideals of Khalsa. If we didn’t have such a separate and distinct identity then others would not be able to find us and would not bother us, but they would also not be able to ask for our help. The Guru did not give us this identity in times of peace from the very beginning we were marked for persecution simply because of the way we looked. The Guru knew that our identity could bring us trouble but mandated that we live in Chardi Kalaa. Why did the Guru do this? Because the guru knew that by presenting us with challenges that we would have no choice but to be fearless and accept who we really are no matter what we face or we could become cowards and slither away.
With the security we have in our identity comes contentment and acceptance of the will of god. This is how so many Sikhs went happily to their deaths at the hands of tyrants all while chanting Gurbani.
You are young, as indicated in your post, and clearly passionate. I share that passion with you, I think every Sikh who has faced persecution is passionate and not satisfied with the current state of affairs. But we must always use our passion in conjunction with our minds and spirit and reflect on the Guru’s teachings for our guidance. It is easy to become angry with the world and the majority in your land or even your own community for being the cause of the injustice, but it is whether you allow the anger to consume you or how you act upon the anger that truly determines if you are Khalsa.
Take faith in Waheguru, and understand that everything is within the will and plan of God, then act according to your ideals which have been provided to you by the Guru. Does it change your commitment to the Guru, if your neighbor’s don’t even know about Guru Tegh Bahadur? Will you spend less time reflecting on Gurmat, because the society around you does not speak, or looks down upon, Punjabi? Will you not help a Hindu in need simply because he worships a cow or believes in Mangal Pandey? If you answer yes to this question then I don’t think you understand what Seva is and what our mission as Khalsa is.
I hold a personal belief that the most destructive forces on the planet today come from people who claim to be evangelical christians. As I write this I am sitting within inches of one (an evangelical Christian), whom I’ve grown quite fond of. My belief is founded in the actions of leaders in his community and how they interpret their doctrine. I cannot discriminate against him or denigrate him simply because I disagree with his leaders or his beliefs. What I can do, and have done, is engage him in conversation and we can reach a common understanding. Since I have met him he has changed his views on the war in Iraq, he has learned who Sikhs are and what we believe in. He has even expressed to me that while maintaining the belief that homosexuality and abortions are a sin, he must have tolerance towards people that believe otherwise. I have learned from him that while he believes in this mythical rapture like his leaders, he still believes that we should be good stewards of the environment and its ecology. So basically all the elements of his community that I find destructive he has renounced.
Now do you think we could have reached this understanding if I had told him he was a “bible-thumping intolerant who goes gaga over Bush”? This would be equivalent to “disgruntled cow worshippers [who] go gaga over mangal pandey.” I’m not trying to censure you, for making these remarks, I’m just trying to say that I believe it is these kind of comments and this kind of mentality that leads to the line of thinking that Khalistan is the only way. And if people who focus on the faults of others rather than serve-selflessly (seva) while reserving judgment are the founders of Khalistan, then what an intolerant place it will be and what a disgrace it will be for all Khalsa.

Hari Singh Khalsa (an extract from www.mrsikhnet.com)

No comments: