Slipping..

Amritvela (The Ambrosial Hours) is one of the most beneficial things to a Gursikh, or anyone wanting to meditate.

It's the time in the day when everything is quiet, no disturbances and is perfect to contemplate God/read Bani.

My problem is that my Amritvela Rehit is soooooo slack now, I get up one or two days a week.

Amritvela has always been a huge problem for me, by my own doing. I used to be a hardcore gamer, so my routine meant that I'd be playing computer games until 6/7am then sleep until 4/5pm. I did this for around 3 years, but recently when I realised that I was wasting my life and not getting enough out of the 'career' I quit. My standard of life has improved soo much, not just my family/education but I'd like to think my Sikhi too.

Recently however, Amritvela is such a problem for me. I'm currently studying at university 3 days a week, but my evening schedule is very busy. There are atleast 2/3 nights a week when i get home for around 11/12, and get to sleep for around 1. On these days amritvela (12am-6am) wake up is near impossible for me.

Im out of the house 4/5 evenings in the week, and its mostly Sikhi related at the moment. But my Amritvela rehit is being 'sacrificed' for these evening keertans or gatka training. I'm very confused as to wether I should concentrate on solely waking up at Amritvela or attending Sangat.
There is so much emphasis on Sadh Sangat in Gurbani, and so much on waking up at Amritvela - I suppose I just need to find the right balance.

I've thought about doing my Nitnem at 12, after having a full head to toe wash - but without shutting down my system, am I really rising for the Guru?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But my Amritvela rehit is being 'sacrificed' for these evening keertans or gatka training. I'm very confused as to wether I should concentrate on solely waking up at Amritvela or attending Sangat."

Veerji, im no expert at waking up at amritvela at all, but i think that a lot of the time these programs are youth-led, at least the ones that i go to usually are, and a lot of the youth just dont have the same goal to wake up at amritvela (or they're super hardcore and can live off of a few hours of sleep per day)... or sometimes programs go late to get youth to stay in sangat rather than go to parties etc. but because of this, a lot of programs tend to go late, and we end up getting to bed late.

the solution to this problem would be to just go home at a certain time, like 8:30 or 9 pm or whatever works for you, and just let people know, that you just **have to** get home. They'll understand after a while.

My dad has a very strict amritvela because he has a duty at the gurdwara to read sukhmani sahib from 4-5 (outloud) so he's in bed by about 8:15 - 8:30. He VERY strict about getting to bed on time, so if he knows something will make him late, he just doesnt do it or cuts it short. (like going to a late kirtan). I think that would be the best solution, if it is possible in your situation.

It's somewhat ironic however that kirtan/sangat program schedules kind of 'conflict' with amritvela schedules.

Hopefully i'll be able to take my own advice someday :)

Anonymous said...

ps. i really like your blog. mostly inspirational stuff :)